Behind the Stage: BoA [Shout it Out] MV Costume!

By 8:08 PM

Back again!

This time around I will tell you about my latest work on a costume for BoA dance cover.

A month a go I joined in a Japan Dance cover competition in Surabaya called Chocodays 2014. The competition held in Ciputra World mall on 13-15 December. I decided to cover Shout it Out, a song from BoA because I love the song very much. The song is cheerful and happy. but the main reason I chose this song was because Rino Nakasone, my favorite dancer/choreographer, was the choreographer of this fun song!

Rino Nakasone, BoA, and the [Shout it Out] crew 
(source:google.com)

The choreograph was tricky, fun, hard yet beautiful, but the other fun part of the dance cover was about the costume. One of the most important rule of dance cover is the costume cover. We have to make it exactly like the video we cover. People love so much when they see a performance that is really look like the "real" thing. They want to feel like they were in a concert. So we had to make a deal with the costume. Not just the costume, even the hair makeup and accessorizing must look alike.

First, take a look at the MV from BoA's Shout it Out click here

There are 2 sets of costume: The All black costume and the street costume.
Street style costume (source: google.com)

All-black costume (source: google.com)

For BoA Costume:
I decided to take the Street one instead of the black costume. Because the black costume items were harder to make. I didn't have the pants and I thought it was harder to make it. The tanktop and the beanie hat also. The thing was I couldn't make them all!

(source: google.com)

Then I tried to browse on the internet about BoA street costume. There was a picture shows the original design of BoA's Jacket from Fig and Viper brand and It costs thousands yen! Clearly, buying the jacket wasn't a good solution for my problem. But the basic top and pants BoA wears were easier to find than the all black costume. If the only problem I found was the jacket, then I decided to make the jacket instead of making the top, pants, and hat for the all black costume.

(source: google.com)


The jacket consists of various colors: black, tosca, blue, yellow, red, and white. I had a problem choosing the fabric. Because it costs so much for the real jacket fabric. So I chose the fake one. Cheap satin. Wasn't a wise choice, I know. At first I regreted it because satin was to shinny. It makes my garment looks cheaper. But I already spent so much for 6 colors of satin fabrics, so I didn't have much choice, I had to make it work!

I was a lazy person, so building a jacket from zero will be a big-serious-problem. Instead of cutting fabric and making it from zero, I decided to buy a second hand jacket. A black jacket with silver zipper. And thank God I found the jacket that I wanted. Next thing was to cover the black jacket with the satin fabric in the exact same pattern as the real jacket design.

Second hand jacket. Covered in red satin

 That was the work. The real WORK.
Half-done work

The harder part was the sleeves. I had to cut the sleeves open, covered them, and sew them all together again.

But the result is quite satisfying.
Shinny-shinny satin. Closer look.

Look cheap. But look good from a far.

 Diamonds team with our trophy (left) My sister as Aya Sato and Me as BoA from Shout it Out MV (right)

with Sara~ Tousa Bao world class Cosplayer from Singapore, our judge, dress as Hiro Hamada of Big Hero 6

look at our performance: BoA's Only One (japan vers.) and Shout it Out




 For the top, I was using my turtle neck top. Actually BoA's top was a turtle neck tank top, but I chose to cover my sleeves (and some part of my stomach, of course). For the pants, I had to sew 2 line of white ribbon in the side of my black pants to make it look like BoA's jersey pants. I wanted to buy black jersey pants but trust me, my feet were to small and all the jerseys were sooo big. I tried to borrow from my friends to, but they were ill-fit too. So, I had to remake my pants. And Voila!


For Hair/Makeup
My hair was too short for high ponny tail, so I used hair clip to extend it.
For makeup, I did smokey-type.









So, how do I look?

Next, I will talk about the BoA's back dancer costume and accessories, especially for Aya Sato's.

See you on the next post!

(PS. I'm sorry for the bad image quality and bad english :p)

You Might Also Like

0 comments